Thursday, July 3, 2014

Fun Facts

One of the worst culture shocks we had here regards bathrooms, which look all more or less like in this picture.


Us being used to taking a hot shower every night, it is quite challenging to bathe in such a bathroom, but when we spend the night at the village we always try our best to be as clean and shiny as the villagers and the teachers are. However, we made the huge mistake of wearing the same clothes for two days in a row, apparently causing everybody’s hilarity. We found out that we were the students’ main object of gossip, because they were thinking that we didn’t wash at night and that we slept in our clothes. Also, one of the teachers asked whether there wasn’t enough water in the guest house where we are staying, and if we use shampoos in our countries. When I said, laughing, that in Finland we only shower on the first of each month, they thought it was the truth, and it took us a good five minutes to convince them that I was kidding. I am afraid they still think Europeans tend to stink, though. Here is the evidence that we do shower!


We noticed how people seem to be obsessed with their weight. Wherever we go, there is at least a scale. At school, there are two, and one of the teachers, who is dieting, insisted on us controlling her daily calorie intake. And if we happen to gain weight, they find it really funny to laugh at our growing belly, while if it happens that we lose a kilo, they try and feed us more. Ho, well, better stay in shape!


Everything tastes extremely sugary to our Western taste buds. Yoghurt, drinks, and even bread. Nonetheless, I have realized how I cannot make it without wheat and dairy products, so I keep buying stuff from the 7/eleven we have near our guest house. I have sugary plain yoghurt and corn flakes for breakfast… And if in my dear old Europe I am trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible, here, if I really cannot change my eating habits, I have to buy single-portion packages. I feel so guilty, but still cannot help it.




No comments:

Post a Comment